All the steps to install the theme are covered here in this page. Please read through it before you submit any support question. All support questions shall be addressed in the support forums. Please note that we offer support for common issues but not necessarily customization issues.
Access to support forum is limited to registered members who have purchased a Gabfire Theme. Registration approval is subject to moderation. When registering to our Forum please use the same email address you used to purchase the theme to help us recognize and validate your registration (this can take up to 24 hours depending on payment status / vendor).
Please note the most common reason a new user does not receive access to the support forum is because they did NOT use the same email address used when purchasing the theme and therefore our system is not able to validate their purchase.
Installation of Theme
Install and activate your theme following these instructions. Note the instructions are the same to install and activate any WordPress theme.
- Go to WordPress Admin Dashboard > Click on Appearance –> Click on Themes
- Click on the Install Themes tab at the top
- Click on Browse and select the theme .ZIP file
- Click Install Now. Once installed, please Activate the theme.
NOTE: If you have access to FTP, it may be better to upload your theme to avoid conflicts with the theme having same name as your existing theme. To avoid this, you can rename your old theme directory to themename-old. Then proceed with the upload of new theme.
Folder Permissions (Requires FTP connection to your site)
After completing the theme upload, please follow these instructions:
- Using FTP software, open to wp-content/themes/THEME_NAME/ directory and set the security atrributes (also known as chmod level) of the cache folder to read+write (777). Setting the security can be performed in most FTP software applications from the properties (or attributes) dialog for the folder. To reach this “properties” setting, you may have to right-click on the folder.
- If file exists, please chmod the cache/index.html file (this is the file inside the cache directory). If this file does not exist, then skip this step.
Regardless of the FTP client used, the most essential point here is that the cache MUST be set to chmod = 777.
Do continue forward until you have performed this folder permission change. If you do not understand how to do this change, please see the Video Tutorial below which explains visually how to change folder permissions.
If you are going to use this theme with a brand new site, SKIP THIS STEP (proceed to next step).
If you disable the Timthumb option, and wish to use the standard WP Post Thumbnails option, you will have to generate thumbnails for your existing posts. This is necessary because your WordPress site needs to know exactly what size to regenerate the thumbnails.
In short, regenerating thumbnails creates the various thumbnails in different sizes that are needed by the theme for each content area.
- Install & Activate the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin:
- Now on admin dashboard > Tools > Regen. Thumbnails > Regenerate Thumbnails
- Once the all thumbnails are re-generated, refresh your website and all images should be of corresponding size.
Theme Settings / Configuration
After initial installation of the theme, your site may look empty. The reason for this is that you need to configure your Theme Options.
- Please make sure you have several posts assigned to various categories. This will ensure we have some posts to fill up the site. If your site looks blank, it’s because you have not published any content yet. Additionally, the navigation menu items will only display once you have at least 1 post in a respective category.
- In the admin dashboard of your site, click on Appearance > Theme Options (or Theme Settings)
- Configure the various theme specific options. Please make sure you go through each setting, and each tab as there are several options you can configure.
- Make sure you save your settings and refresh your browser to see the result. Now, you are all set to continue forward with your site.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE DO NOT CLAIM YOUR SITE DOES NOT WORK WITHOUT HAVING CONFIGURED EACH SETTING. IT’S VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU SELECT A SETTING FOR ALL TABS IN THEME OPTIONS.